Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 15:33:15 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switching the ctrl key to caps lock

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 02:26:00PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:

> I figured out how to do this in X, but does anyone know if this can be done
> for console mode as well?  And if so, how?

Mr McKitrick, I answered this very question for *you* less than a
month ago:) :

Subject: Re: editors question #2
From: Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:01:36 +0100
To: j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 02:26:45PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 09:54:11AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> | The difference with Emacs is that you don't just use the shift key,
> | you also use the control and meta keys.  This may take a little
> | getting used to (especially if you're using the standard broken
> | keyboard layout that replaces control with CapsLock), but if you have
>
> Where are ctrl and caps-lock *supposed* to be?

Where do you want them to be? :) The traditional Unix locations are
the opposite to a std PC keyboard, i.e. Ctrl next to 'A' and CapsLock
below the LeftShift key.

In case your next question is, "How do I do that", then for X you add
(or uncomment):

    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

in the Keyboard section of /etc/XF86Config, and for the console, swap
the entries for 029 and 058 in
/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/<your_keymap> or change the 058 line to be
all ``lctrl'' to make both keys Ctrl (no Caps Lock key). I notice that
there are some new keymap files with ``-ctrl'' in their name which
does the latter of these, but I don't know when they were introduced.

> jcm
> --
> "I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie