Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 14:43:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Original PC (was: talk (fwd))

On Tue, 19 May 1998 at 23:57:14 +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> As Oliver Fromme wrote...
>> In list.freebsd-hackers Mike wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I've always heard (I have no motorola experience, yet) that motorola asm
>>> blows x86 away when it comes to efficiency.  A friend I have develops for
>>> Be and he's always ranting about it. :)
>>
>> He's right.  The x86 has 4 general-purpose registers, each of
>> them 16 bits (they were extended to 32 bits in the 80386) and
>> 4 address registers of the same size.  And there are certain
>> restrictions on their usage, e.g. you can only use the CX
>> register as counter in the "loop" instruction etc.
>>
>> On the other hand, the Motorola 68k has 8 general-purpose
>> registers of 32 bits and 8 address registers (also 32 bits).
>> There is no restriction on their use, except that the 8th
>> address regsiter is the default stack pointer.
>>
>> I programmed on both architectures in assembler, and I have to
>> say that the 68k is definitely easier to program, and the
>> higher number of registers allows for efficient programming.
>>
>> Maybe it was the biggest mistake ever made in computer history
>> when IBM selected the 8088 for their first PC back in 1979.
>> (Or was it 1978?  Don't know, I probably couldn't even spell
>> the word "Computer" correctly back then.)  If they used the
>> 68000 -- which was already available at that time -- we would
>> have less problems today, I guess.
>
> An attractive (to me ;-) explanation is that IBM did not want to use the
> 68K because it was a threat (performance wise) to their high profit machine
> range.
>
> Urban legend or not, it sure sounds OK ;-)

I just realized what this thread was about after deleting a lot of
messages unread, so if I repeat something that has already gone past,
please forgive me.

Did it really take IBM so long to develop the PC?  My recollection was
that it was a sort of half-hearted effort after the devastating
success of the 5100.  In any case, the obvious reason for the choice
of processor was the software available--CP/M 86 and 86-DOS for the
8088, nothing for the 68K.  On top of that, the 8088 was cheaper
because it had 8 bit memory (remember that most chips in those days
were single bit).  I don't think they had the slightest concern about
attacking their mainframe machines, which were as fast as they needed
to be (quite literally).

Greg