Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:39:57 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: this spam

This thread has about run out of gas for me.... but, one last reply, for
Bob's reply to me:

I gave two contrasting policies: One is the small, financially weak ISP
that bears a cost it rather not have to mess with to deal with spam versus
the much bigger, financially sound ISP that has decided not to have that
type of overhead cost allocated to monitor spam. Thus, the bigger one with
sofisticated financial controls thinks it's more economical to NOT control
the spam in the same manner as the small ISP. Without having seen either of
their financials, the body language says the cost of monitoring spam
probably exceeds the other costs of storage, bandwidth or whatever.... IF
and to the extent they truly have any tangible cost effect on the bottom
line. The cost of a special staff is most definitely tangible and
measureable.... as compared to "X", the other spam control costs, harder to
measure.

Soooooo, I would guess that small ISP is trying to do something extra in
the way of services AND lower pricing in order to keep that customer base
and not just compete, but to STAY in business.... for as long as they
can... which is becoming harder and harder until they can no longer survive
against the bigger ISPs. I for one would NOT want to be a small struggling
ISP with skimpy resources in these tougher economic times with more dark
clouds ahead.....

If and when the bigger ISP REALLY wants more market share (which includes
that of the smaller ISP) all they have to do is lower the price and
eliminate that pricing edge... then say goodbye to the smaller one who
cannot stand to lose too many customers, spam controls or not...

That's all for me on this.... thanks for the bandwidth, folks!

At 08:01 PM 11.27.2001 -0500, Bob Hall wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 04:20:10PM -0600, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
>> Bob: Just because they are doing it doesn't justify it.... it's because
>> their survival is on the edge that they are trying very hard to satisfy
>> those customers who complain. I know at least one of the largest ISPs who
>> will tell you that while they understand spam is undesirable, they "are
>> still trying to figure out a method of dealing with it"... that was a long
>> time ago and nothing yet.
>>
>> They recognize the dilemma of filtering emails for customers will make some
>> unhappy and not filtering on some basis will make some unhappy.... alas,
>> the financial outlook for the small ISP is rather bleak in trying not to
>> lose a much-needed customer... but, not only because of spam, but a loss of
>> a single customer means much more to the small company than the large one
>> everytime.

>> >There's a relatively small, local ISP in my area called Erols. They
>> >keep three people on staff to deal with spam. (Check their web site.)
>> >Erols competes on price and is too small to have money to waste on
>> >something that doesn't either return a profit or save more money than
>> >it costs. If it's cheaper to ignore spam, why do small ISPs with
>> >razor thin margins bother to deal with it aggressively?
>
>What you are saying (up there at the top, instead of here at the end),
>is that having an ISP that deals with spam is sufficiently valuable to
>customers that they are willing to pay a little extra to cover the cost.
>I don't beleive that there are enough customers who know enough about
>the issue to pay for the service. As I said, Erols competes on price,
>which means that they attract customers by being cheaper that the next
>ISP. I don't believe they would be pursuing spam if it didn't reduce
>their costs.
>
>Bob Hall

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,