Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:16:10 +0200
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@spoerlein.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS weird device tasting loop since MFC

Hi all,

so I went ahead and updated my ~7.2 file server to the new ZFS goodness,
and before running any further tests, I already discovered something
weird and annoying.

I'm using a mirror on GELI, where one disk is usually *not* attached as
a means of poor man's backup. (I had to go that route, as send/recv of
snapshots frequently deadlocked the system, whereas a mirror scrubbing
did not)

root@coyote:~# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: DEGRADED
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME                      STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
          mirror                  DEGRADED     0     0     0
            ad4.eli               ONLINE       0     0     0
            12333765091756463941  REMOVED      0     0     0  was /dev/da0.eli

errors: No known data errors

When imported, there is a constant "tasting" of all devices in the system,
which also makes the floppy drive go spinning constantly, which is really
annoying. It did not do this with the old ZFS, are there any remedies?

gstat(8) is displaying the following every other second, together with a
spinning fd0 drive.

dT: 1.010s  w: 1.000s  filter: ^...$
 L(q)  ops/s    r/s   kBps   ms/r    w/s   kBps   ms/w   %busy Name
    0      0      0      0    0.0      0      0    0.0    0.0| fd0
    0      8      8   1014    0.1      0      0    0.0    0.1| md0
    0     32     32   4055    9.2      0      0    0.0   29.2| ad0
    0     77     10   1267    7.1     63   1125    2.3   31.8| ad4

There is no activity going on, especially md0 is for /tmp, yet it
constantly tries to read stuff from everywhere. I will now insert the
second drive and see if ZFS shuts up then ...

Cheers,
Ulrich Spörlein
--
http://www.dubistterrorist.de/