Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:36:15 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: F00F-HACK still necessary?

jdp@polstra.com wrote:

> In article <200010291602.e9TG25B01059@cwsys.cwsent.com>, Cy Schubert -
> ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> > NO_F00F_HACK is only effective with the original Pentium.  If you
> > define i686_CPU, NO_F00F_HACK is implied.
>
> Close, but not quite right.  If you _don't_ define I586_CPU then
> NO_F00F_HACK is implied.

Even if the code is in the kernel, it's not actually activated unless a
Pentium is installed, though. So the only time you really need it is
when you have an Intel Pentium that you know is NOT affected by the
bug... Right? I mean apart from the few hundred bytes of code space, if
the handler isn't installed, it's as if NO_FOOF_HACK was in there all
along.