Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:09:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

Sorry for jumping into the thread but note that netboot is not functional
with ELF kernels, and in any case it basically only supports one card type.
Now you tell me that etherboot is so much better than netboot, but it still
only supports a few cards and some of them do not even work
for all models (e.g. "de" is notoriously broken).

Here we have a few labs running FreeBSD diskless, and kernel bootp
support is the only thing that lets us do the job without messing
up too much with configurations.

We boot kernels from a small fbsd partition (which isn't that bad
after all, because in the end you need some place to stick
netboot/etherboot onto, and this reduces a lot of traffic/server
load when in the morning or at the beginning of a class everybody
reboots at the same time), and then do the bootp config, nfs-mount
root etc.

The alternative would be, i believe, to have a small fs image that the
boot loader brings up, containing whatever (DHCP client etc.) is needed
to do an ifconfig, set an address and a route, and then proceed.
Of course it can be done but this requires a bit of annoying tricks
to replace /etc/rc at some point (which is the same trick picobsd does,
and is a big source of confusion).

	cheers
	luigi