Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 20:46:29 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntp servers?

j mckitrick wrote:

> Does anyone know where there is a list of current ntp servers?
> All the ones I have tried say no suitable server found.  I think I am doing
> it right:
> ntpdate x.y.edu or whatever, run as root of course.

My version of right is probably similar to your joke about "is".

What I have in rc.conf is

### Network Time Services options: ###
xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_program="ntpd"
xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"

I have a ntp.conf that looks like

server time.nist.gov prefer
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

It works. I have an alias in root that set it the first time. It looks
like
setdate (/usr/local/sbin/rdate -s time.u.washington.edu)

I used to dial in and run setdate and then use adjdate to correct the
time factors.

The system gets +/- ~.5 seconds and it corrects itself. I have all of
my FreeBSD and Windows 2K machines pointing to my gateway. It doesn't
have any problems with the firewall and the rest don't have any
problem geting the time from it. Most of what I have is straight out
of "man ntpd".

Kent

> jcm
> --
> "That depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." -President Bill Clinton
>
> "I don't know what you mean by the word 'ask.'" -CEO Bill Gates

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com