Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:18:34 -0600
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fl=FCgel?= <Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports vs. RPM was:This will replace Linux?

Christian Flügel wrote:

> [...]

I actually like both systems, and they both have their advantages. Ports
are better at handling dependencies. They will go out and get anything
that is required. RPM will only tell you that a file is missing, but it
will not tell you where that file can be obtained.

I find upgrading RPMs to be a little easier then ports, but that may
just be personal bias because I have used them longer. One major problem
with RPM is that the RPM database which keeps track of what is installed
on the system does tend to be fragile. If it gets corrupted, then the
odds are good that you will never have an easy rpm install or upgrade again.

Victor Cardona