Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 19:28:16 -0500
From:      x <y>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, "'Dima Dorfman'" <dima@zwb.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: hello

I am going to take a wild guess that you are on a Micro$loth
Windoze platform, based on your "Network Neighborhood"
comment.  If that is the case, what you need is SAMBA and
RUMBA.  SAMBA will let your Win machines see and use your
FBSD boxen, while RUMBA will let your FBSD box(es) use your
Win platforms.

Just an aside: I have used these to excellent effect on
heterogenous NT/*nix networks (such as the one here, which
has FreeBSD, SVR4, and NT all sharing wires), but I have
NOT tried this on 95/98 boxes.  In theory it *should*
work, BUT, and this is a BIG but, win 95/98 boxes do not
support modern authentication methods, to cut to the chase,
if you are using 95/98, be VERY careful: your passwords
are subject to the original LANMAN hash procedures, which
can be easily broken to reveal your passwords by *any*
competent 12 year old!

Hope this helps...

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

> hello
> well I have 2 ethernet cards on my machine and one part of my network
> is connected to 1 ethernet card and the other part is connected to
> other ethernet the problem is 1 network does not see the other one
> in their network neighbourhood, can I add ipx/spx support to freebsd?

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.