Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:32:40 -0800
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@cisco.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "D. Rock" <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some notes on pccard and apm support

It seems that on Win98 compatible APM BIOSes, you need to have interrupts
enabled.  I have the 3.0 CD-ROM and am studying the code to figure out where
to do the cutting.  I'd make up a patch set for 2.2.6 (haven't upgraded the
mother computer to 2.2.7 or above yet), but I installed PAO and I haven't
taken the hour to sit down and figure out exactly where to apply the scissors.

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 12:16:35 MST, Sendmail channeled Nate Williams saying:
> > I just installed 3.0-current on my new notebook. It works OK most of the ti
me
> > but I have some minor problems:
> > - pccard interrupts doesn't seem to get initialized correctly for statistic
> >   output (vmstat -i). After I insert a pccard, all of its interrupts get
> >   accounted for the clock interrupt, with the irq line of the clock interru
pt
> >   changing to the one for the PCCard.
>
> This is a 'known bug', and requires a re-write of the way PCCARD probing
> is done to fix it.  (This rewrite would also fix a number of other bugs
> as well, but there is no one interested in taking on the laptop issue to
> completion.)
>
> > - Sometimes the PCCard isn't detected if inserted (or the system is booted
> >   with the card already inserted: I had a Windows 98 running just fine with
> >   the card, shut down the machine, turned power off and on and rebootet
> >   FreeBSD and the card wasn't detected the 1st time, only after a few
> >   plug/unplug operations, the card was properly detected). The pccard drive
> >   detects the plugging/unplugging of the device, but a "pccardc dumpcis" on
ly
> >   only dumps a "terminator" tuple for the slot.
>
> This *should* work.  You're best bet is to look into the code in pccardd
> and figure out why it's not working.
>
> > - After unplugging/replugging the card, I get an
> > Slot x, unfielded interrupt (0)
>
> Expected.  The software doesn't like the hardware disappearing
> underneath it, and there's really no acceptable way to make this not
> happen.  You can hang a windows box in the same way.
> > - Shutdown/Resume doesn't seem to work. The system wakes up immediately aft
er
> >   a suspend to RAM (apm -Z) and after a suspend to disk (zzz), after wakeup
> >   the system hangs. I recompiled the kernel with APM_DEBUG, and after resum
> >   the hooks get called, but afterwards it hangs.
>
> I think someone found that this was due to an extraneous 'cli'
> instruction in the APM bios, but since there are lots of them in the
> code I didn't know which one to remove.  Attempts to contact the author
> of the email were ignored. :(
>

> > This is stock 3.0-current, latest cvsup from yesterday.
> > Needless to say, it works on Windows 98
>
> I can lockup my box pretty easily on Windows hot swapping 'active'
> cards as well.  It's just harder because the OS is slower. :)
>

> Nate

| Kenton A. Hoover                  Network Team Manager | shibumi@cisco.com |
| Engineering Computer Services                          |                   |
| Cisco Systems, Inc.                                    |   +1.408.526.5249 |
|  "Foucault has benefited from that curious Anglo-American view that if a   |
|   Frenchman talks nonsense it must reset on a profundity which is too deep |
|   for a speaker of English to comprehend."        --   Larry Laudan        |