Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:40:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert <rna@reflectively.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>, Craig Hawco <dest@syd.eastlink.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

Hello,
	I used to own a Compaq Proliant 800/850 (one of them) with an
internal
RAID 5 array with about 4 8gb Seagate Baracude(SCSI UW).  I had two of the
drives fail on me after about 4 years, due to heat and just the
fact that we plain ran them into the ground.  I have a feeling that these
new IDE drives, much like some old SCSI drives, have problems with
inadequate ventilation.  Most of these new 7200 rpm drives (IDE) run VERY
hot and most people do not provide proper cooling for their computers.  I
recommend to anyone who wants to extend the life of their ide
drives to purchase the "drive cooler" product from Antec.  Not only do
they cool the drives down they have a protective dust shield where the
fans are so you dont contribute to dirtying the components.  Also a likely
scenario now-a-days is having your 5.25" slots taken up by a CD-R,
CD-ROM, and whatever else you might have and having your drives crunched
together in the internal 3.25" mount.  Imagine three drives just sitting
all together with metals conducting heat throughout one another, not
good!  Logic also reasons that most people dont check the heat of the
drive, or have any type of secondary cooling for the drives.  I dont think
that its an issue of drive reliability but more so an issue of use and
abuse.  If you get a drive and run it for a year or two or three even and
then all of a sudden it dies and you have no warranty it is most likely an
oversight on the consumers part.  I have a 540 meg western digital cavier
drive from around 1990-1992 that still works quite nicely, never over used
and always kept in a cool computer.

I have used about every combination possible when it comes to drive
types.  I
have had problems with all sorts of different drives and only minimal
failures, due to the fact I keep ALL my computers and drives well
ventilated and in my server rooms I always have auxillary AC.  I generally
regard IBM as being the top of the line now for new
IDE drives, however they are more expensive.  Seagate makes some nice IDE
drives that you can purchase for decent prices while still getting
quality.  Fujitsu, Maxtor, Quantum, etc.  are what I regard as the low-end
pay for what you get drive manufacturers.  I have seen more probelms with
new western digital drives for some reason its as if they dont have the
"quality" they used to be somewhat known for.

I know this is the freebsd-stable
list and this topic thread is 100% related to hardware issues but In order
to have a more stable system (regardles of operating system) people need
to realize the foundation of a proper running computer is something
properly configured with decent hardware and a good OS.  FreeBSD-stable is
top notch as far as stability is concerned.  Its the hardware now-a-days
that is becoming a difficult viewpoint to retain.  People
want to
slap an install on a system they picked up getting every bargain they
can and cutting every corner they feel necessary to bring the price
down.  If you are like me and you have a 70/30 split as far as SCSI and
IDE are concerned in your network you know how it is.  You pay more for
better equipment,
it is something that should be faced and addressed since alot of the posts
in this mailing list are directyl related to
incompatible/non-compliant hardware.  I
have even contributed to the threads trying to get various pieces of
equipment to work with this wonderful os that ultimately ended in me
realizing that the 20 bucks saved on a perticular motherboard was not the
way to go.  I think we will see alot more volume of these types of
messages as people grow out of linux for servers/etc and switch to freebsd
as an end-all solution(hehe).  I just hope their will be a certain degree
of understanding hardware out there versus the other way around.  Coming
from the days of the 8086 alot of people learned just what hardware was
about, believe me I have spent a small fortune on this stuff over
time.

-Robert

Is there an industry expert out there who can give us some NUMBERS?  Or do
they even exist?