Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:59:38 -0400
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        Jon Doe <jondoe@datacruz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ide hard drives

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> i have a quantum fireball 1.6 gig ide hard drive.  when upgrading from 3.4
> to 4.0, the drive is changed from wd0 to ad0. well, thats all fine and
> dandy, but it wont initialize the drive or mounth filesystems to it.  i
> know there is some new ide controller stuff in 4.0, but i dont know that
> much about it.  even off of the boot floppies, it wont format or detect my
> hard drive.  does this mean freebsd no longer supports those ide drives?
> do i have to switch to debian linux?

IDE support certainly has not been dropped from FreeBSD.  SCSI may be the
obvious choice on server systems, but too many people have IDE hard drive
on their home PC for FreeBSD to get away with dropping support for IDE.

When you say that it's not detecting your hard drive, are you not seeing
ad0 in the device listing when you boot?  If you are, but it's just not
mounting, did you update your /etc/fstab file?  What happens when you type

mount /dev/ad0s1a /

The changes in the fstab file are really the only thing I can think of.

Mark