Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:23:59 -0500
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot manager (dual boot, two disks, w2k, freebsd)

I have installed FreeBSD with Win2000 on several machines and installed the
Easy Boot Manager feature used in the sysinstall. One install with a
Pentium went smoothly as silk, but others were very difficult. On the
smooth one, Win2K was already installed on the first drive and I installed
FreeBSD on a second drive. Afterwards, the Boot Manager popped right up as
it should.

On the "tough" machines, I found that if Win2K were installed after
FreeBSD, it will overwrite the Easy Boot Manager. Also, I found it easier
to PARTITION the first drive and install Win2K first and then FreeBSD. That
made those machines work fine as dual boot. However, I have not figured out
how to make Easy Boot install properly on the tough machines if I try to
install FreeBSD on the second drive. Also, Win2k will not install properly
on the second drive in part of the first partition does not have a DOS
partition to write the setup files. Again, if Win2K is installed second, it
will overwrite the Easy Boot... at least that was my experience....

The motherboard seemed to be the variable on this....

Hope this helps some one... maybe me if some one can tell me what I did
wrong....

At 10:37 PM 7.31.2001 +0000, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
>I've installed FreeBSD 4.3 on hard disk two in a box,
>with Windows 2000 on hard disk one.  I chose not to
>install the boot loader as I wasn't sure if it would
>work.
>
>Will the boot loader that comes with FreeBSD be able
>to reside on hard disk one, and dual boot hard disk
>one and FreeBSD on hard disk two ?
>
>How can I install the boot loader ?  Should I reboot
>the FreeBSD CD, and take it from there ?
>
>Help !
>
>--
>Darren Wyn Rees			merlin@netlink.co.uk

Best regards,