Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:36:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
Cc:        David Hunt <dh@huntbros.net>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kate Sullivan <Lslbsc2@AOL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Mac iBook OS10 + BSD

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Steve Kudlak wrote:

> David Hunt wrote:
>
> > I have been using Linux (Slackware) for a number of years on my
> > desktop, and have never used BSD. From what I've gathered, BSD sounds
> > like the kind of OS I would like.
> >
> > I Now need to get a laptop, and have been thinking of getting a new
> > Mac Ibook, but OS 10 seems to lack some important features I
> > want/need, like virtual terminals, things I have grown quite used to.

news to me.. I run multiple terminal windows, each running tcsh.
That's with an unaltered macosX 10.1.5.
from the user perspective it looks a lot like FreeBSD 3.{something}

The new one is basically like FreeBSD 4.4.

> > Would BSD be a good choice for the iBook as the third OS (along with
> > OS9 and OS10)?

MacOS-X is perfectly fine as a unix. just fire up a terminal window and
use sudo when you want to be root

> > How much can BSD share things like utilities and config files with
> > OS10? Is there any special compatability due to the OSs being similar
> > in some ways?
> >
> > How should I plan my BSD intallation? Any special advantage of having
> > BSD on a Mac with OS10, as compared to Linux Slackware?

Stick with MacOS-X it's going to run better onthis hardware than
anything else.