Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 09:56:08 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why JDK 1.1.8 on FreeBFS is so slow ?

In muc.lists.freebsd.hackers, you wrote:

> As it stands, however, 1.2.2 will not have a JIT either, unless someone
> finds a way to persuade Sun to help us out on this one.
>
> There are a number of JIT's available in the ports collection. Install and
> use those. I have a description that Fuyuhiko Maruyama has written on how to
> do that for the JDK 1.2.2 port, but I am sure you can figure out how to do
> that for 1.1.8 too.

What is not in the ports collection and has great performance is
http://www.openjit.org/

I have it working on both jdk-1.1.8 and jdk-1.2.2 (Greg Lewis port) on
FreeBSD. Very unscientific benchmarks show it to be about as fast as
sunwjit. I'll try to post the results of some standard benchmarks as I
find time.

	-Arun