Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2011 21:47:31 -0500
From:      dieterbsd@engineer.com
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Addonics SIS3124 Controller and T

Jose Amengual writes:
> 1.- I can see just only from ada0 to ada6 I don't see any other HDs.

Are both of the JMB393s configured as individual drives port multiplier
mode? (as opposed to some hardware raid mode)  I assume you've already
checked the cables.

> 2.- Performance is just 131 MBs per second as report from diskinfo -t

This is for an individual drive, correct?  How fast do you expect it to
be?

Have you tried connecting individual drives to the 3124 controller
and tested the performance that way?

>From what you've written, the bottleneck could be the controller, the
port multiplier, or the drive itself.  131 MB/s sounds about right
for a single drive, unless it is some super high performance drive
or you are reading from the drive's RAM rather than from the platters.
I can get 253 MB/s reading from a drive's RAM.  Useful for seeing what
controllers, port multipliers and such can do without the limits of
the platter density.  (the platter density goes up as new generations
of drives come out)  I'd be interested in knowing what the 3124
controller and the JMB393 PM can do.