Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:55:53 -0500
From:      "Matthew Grooms" <mgrooms@seton.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: xfree and TV question

Hello,

     I noticed a few people had been discussing the use of xfree86
w/video out. I had a bout with this a year or so ago and found a
solution that may work for some of you. I have been using xf86 w/ my
living room television for quite some time now.

     If you have a card that has > VESA 2.0 support, I would suggest
giving the vesa driver a try. I have an NVidia card that refused to work
with the tv out when the nv driver was used in XFree86. I ended up
emailed the xfree86 nv driver maintainer and he stated that tv out is
not / would not be a supported feature.

     Apparently, it is impossible to feed the card the proper timings
for tv output using the nv driver. When the vesa driver is used and the
vga is unplugged, the video card assumes that you want to output via the
tv out connector at boot. ( yes you must reboot ) After that, the card
translates standard timings into acceptable NTSC/PAL timing for your
tv/monitor so there is no need for fancy modeline calculations. Just use
some stanard timings for the mode you are shooting for.

     Although I have only tested this with an nvidia card I would not be
surprised if other vesa/tvout cards would work the same way. Hope this
helps someone.

-Matthew