Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 16:05:03 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: User IDs

On Jan 7, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Polytropon wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:49:48 -0800, Don Dugger wrote:
>> The question is about dealing with adding users. I been using NIS for a
>> while now it works ok however I've had to keep good notes on how to do
>> thing mainly because I don't add user or boxes very often. I'm a software
>> engineer not a system admin so I not clean on what the best way to deal
>> with things like this. The problem is when I added a PC-BSD box and adde=
d a
>> user with the GUI admin stuff provided it did not let me specify the user
>> id so now the users file that are on the nfs mounted drives user id's do=
n't
>> match. I can login as root and use chpass and change the user ids but th=
en
>> I must go through add they files on the new box change uids and gids.
>>=20
>> Question is there an easier way??
>=20
> If the GUI tool of PC-BSD doesn't cover the specific need you
> have, use the CLI equivalent. If you need an interactive way
> of adding users, use "adduser", and if you have some time,
> read "man pw" and use "pw useradd" (and maybe "pw usermod")
> which will cover nearly all imaginable cases.
>=20
> The advantage of pw is that you can easily script and automate
> things. If urgently needed, you could create a GUI wrapper
> with Tcl/Tk, but you'll probably find that the CLI tool is
> much easier to use.
>=20

bsdconfig should be considered the GUI wrapper.

I plan to demo it at BSDCan-2013, but you can already play with it now (its=
 quite mature).

To use bsdconfig, check out HEAD and perform a "make all install" from the =
"usr.sbin/bsdconfig" directory.

Then, w/respect to the OPs topic=85

(on the command-line): bsdconfig useradd
(for GUI): bsdconfig -X useradd

NOTE: GUI requires Xdialog from ports
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.