Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:14:23 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, n@nectar.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: union nethostaddr no longer defined for src/sbin/mount_nfs.c

>You'd have to also back out revision 1.27 of
>src/sbin/mount_nfs.c of the same date.

No, rev.1.33 of src/sys/nfs/nfs.h is a prerequisite for
rev.1.27 of src/sbin/mount_nfs/mount_nfs.c, so clobbering
of rev.1.33 in rev.1.40 broke mount_nfs.c.

>If a structure needs to be visible to userland utilities, it
>shouldn't be in a KERNEL section, IMHO.  For that matter, I
>sometimes think there ought to be more header.h/headervar.h
>pairs instead of #ifdef KERNEL everywhere.

That's why `union nethostadr' moved it outside the KERNEL section.
It probably doesn't need to be visible, but it is used in other
nfs headers that don't even have a KERNEL section.

>I guess the question in my mind is which is more important
>with regards to the NFS code:
>
>* Progress towards a less ``polluted'' environment, OR
>* Kernel and header source code compatibility with other
>  BSD systems

I don't like pollution, but implemented consistent pollution.

Bruce