Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        sanpei@sanpei.org (MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro)
Cc:        ambrisko@whistle.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: etherboot-4.1p9

MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro writes:
| >Using etherboot with FreeBSD 3.1, The etherboot can load kernel but =
| >cannot mount root even I already exported in /etc/exports :
| >
| >/usr/diskless/tftpboot/192.168.0.4 -maproot=3D0:0 192.168.0.4
| >
| >What should I do ?
|
|   Did you use etherboot?  I use 3.1-RELEASE and etherboot-4.1p9.  I
| can boot from network and mount / partition(yes, I can use
| diskless).
|
| Did you add below options to diskless kernel configuration?
|
| options         NFS                     #Network File System
| options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device
| options         BOOTP           # Use BOOTP to obtain IP address/hostname
| options         BOOTP_NFSROOT   # NFS mount root filesystem using BOOTP info
| options         BOOTP_NFSV3     # Use NFS v3 to NFS mount root
| options         BOOTP_COMPAT    # Workaround for broken bootp daemons.
| options         BOOTP_WIRED_TO=fxp0 # Use interface fxp0 for BOOTP
|                                ~~~~ your bootp interface name

Can you give us the last few lines of the kernel boot messages, they should
look like:
	bootpc_init: using network interface 'fxp0'
	Bootpc testing starting
	bootpc hw address is 0:a0:c9:c7:e1:6f
	My ip address is 192.168.2.3
	Server ip address is 192.168.2.254
	Gateway ip address is 0.0.0.0
	Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
	rootfs is 192.168.2.254:/usr/home/ambrisko/current
	Ignoring field type 28
	swapfs is 192.168.2.254:/usr/home/ambrisko/current
	Truncated fieldmd_lookup_swap: Swap size is 128 KB
	NFS ROOT: 192.168.2.254:/usr/home/ambrisko/current
	NFS SWAP: 192.168.2.254:/usr/home/ambrisko/current

My export line is:
	/usr    -alldirs -maproot=root
So I don't have to worry about export the exact directory.  When you get it
working then you can try to tune to only the directory you want.

FYI, you don't need the "BOOTP_WIRED_TO" options unless you have multiple
NICs and the first one is not the netbooted one.  I submited that feature
because I have several netboot machines with multiple NICs.

Doug A.