Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:17:42 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Bara writes:

> but where's the fun in that ?

There isn't much fun in it, but it gets the job done quickly and cheaply.  It
depends on how interested you are in fiddling with UNIX to get things to work.
In a business and production environment, buying the router is generally a
better idea.

> ---- configuring the gateway will take 15 minutes

Not if you are starting from scratch.

> ( 10 if you use vi more than once a day )

I transfer text files to my Windows machine and edit them with Notepad.  It's
faster and easier than vi.  vi is just too much of a blast to the past (circa
1970) to be more than a curiosity, in my view.

> ------ ipfilter + ppp security - no way ( IMHO )

It's hard to find any source that recommends a UNIX system as a gateway/router
over a dedicated hardware solution, from a security standpoint.  There are just
too many potential holes.  Besides, it's like killing mosquitoes with cruise
missiles.