Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 00:25:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, stephane@cybersurf.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Prefered X Window Manager?

Greg Lehey said:

> Yes, there are plenty of interesting wms, and I thought a lot before
> choosing it.  A good alternative would be something like fvwm95, but I
> decided that if I was going to plunge newbies into FreeBSD, I didn't
> want to make it look like Windoze 95%.  The main reason for the
> chapter was to give enough perspective to make it interesting for
> people to install X and do something halfway interesting with it.
> *Then*, if they have any curiosity, they'll go and do their own thing
> (and probably think me strange for the defaults I suggested :-)

I agree -- the WM is relatively easy to change for a beginner (once
someone has created a work environment, the window manager becomes
more embedded on ones system.)  I think that in your book, directing
someone to something that *works* is the best thing.  It is probably a
very good strategy to distinguish FBSD from W95. As I know
that you know one of the distinguishing things about X is that you can really
change the look and feel significantly.  X is hyper-flexible.

All of the Free U**X systems are like a vast stack of Christmas presents
to open.  Too many toys, and eventually one settles on a few of the toys
that one likes!!!  There aren't very many really bad choices :-).

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org