Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:59:07 -0700
From:      Victoria Welch <vikki@oz.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Thanks!

Hello All,

  I sent y'all a message yesterday while I was just a bit frusterated.

  Thanks, all of you who responded.

  I was very impressed with the responses I received.  All measured and
all helpful.

  Later on that evening, my roomie found a #freebsd channel on undernet
that was quite helpful!  I guess my timing was less than optimal :-).

  I did complete the FTP install and was most pleasantly surprised at
how smooth it went.

  Having been a BSDer for almost 24 hours now :-) I am quite pleased
with it so far.

  I'm not sure if I can use it for my original purpose, which was to
replace a RH linux 5.2 server yet.  I masquerade (NAT in OpenBSD) and
mostly need a firewall I can configure easily.  With the RH server,
opening up ports with ipfwadm appears impossible and by now ipfwadm is
so old that no one seems to know how to make it work.  I'm pretty much
over linux and looking for a better way.  Thus my adventure into BSD.
I'd like to, at very least, be able to open up the ports to do
multi-player flight sim and maybe use the internet phone stuff.

  Even if the FreeBSD won't masquerade I think I will still like it for
a desktop, a number of things I have seen so far make much more sense to
me :-).

  This ports thing is really nice, the idea of being able to cvsup it
puts the RPM stuff to shame :-).

  I will be in the handbook (and probably on #freebsd on undernet
(assuming I can get on :) and trying to figure out if I have to use Open
BSD for a server.  If anyone knows anything or might like to comment on
that, I would appreciate hearing it - I'd rather have one OS instead of
3 of 4 :-).

  Also if anyone knows if the "linux compatibility" stuff will let me
run a couple of specific apps:  WordPerfect Office 2000 and VMware?

  Thanks very much for you help and patience :-).

If, for the moment you might CC me on any responses to this, I would be
most appreciative!

Thanks & take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, SysAdmin SeaStar.org, vikki.oz.net
"Walking on water and developing software to specification are