Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:24:13 -0300
From:      Andrew Hamilton-Wright <ahamiltonwright@mta.ca>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs in single-user mode

Hi Everyone,

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:24:52 -0300, Andrew Hamilton-Wright wrote:
>=20
> Strangely, it seems that I cannot boot single user, either
> using "boot -s" from the boot loader, or using the boot menu.=20
> When I get to the point where the root filesystem is mounted,
> it hangs right after printing the message:
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a

There was a bit of a delay getting back to this, as I needed to move the =
internals over to a replacement server in a planned upgrade.

I have left the boot disk in the machine demonstrating this problem with =
the intention of coming back to determine what is going on (mount points =
to now-missing data disks have been removed from /etc/fstab).

In the resulting stripped down system, I have the same behaviour as =
before -- I cannot get to single-user mode, but multi-user is fine.

If in multi-user mode, if I issue "kill -TERM 1" to go to single-user =
mode, I would get a single console message:  "pflog0:  promiscuous mode =
disabled", then nothing.  While I would expect pflog to shut down in =
this case, I have now disabled everything pf related (I cannot imagine =
that it would interfere with console operation), and now have the =
situation where kill -TERM 1 simply locks the console.

Plugging in a USB device while the console is locked does produce the =
expected dmesg updates, and the system does respond to =
[CTRL]-[ALT]-[DEL]

I will also add that I can boot to a single-user prompt when booting off =
of the 9.1 media via DVD and mounting the root filesystem from the disk. =
 (This motherboard+kernel have never gotten along particularly well with =
the DVD reader/writer in the machine, so mounting the filesystem from =
the DVD usually fails with various atapi based timeouts).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to further explore this?  As the =
situation was more than mildly annoying, and could certainly have been =
worse, if this is likely to occur for anyone else, I would like to file =
a PR.

Thanks,
Andrew.