Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 18:22:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Martin <martid@nando.net>
To:        Michael Novak <shadowm@nauticom.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting x windows

On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Michael Novak wrote:

> i have installed both freeBSD and xfree86 3.11 on my machine.  i
> continued to run the xConfig script to configure xfree86.  after
> installing it i went to run it and got a mouse error.  i have a
> PS/2 mouse and need to know the script for the port.  for using a
> comm port i can use ln -s /dev/cua2 /dev/mouse to create a link.
> will this work? and can i use a similar script for PS

If you have the generic kernel, you will have to compile another one with
the PS/2 driver.  You may also have to run MAKEDEV psm0 -- I can't
remember whether I did or not.  If an "ls -l /dev/psm0" doesn't list
the file, you will have to so this.

Then in /etc/XF86Config, under "Pointer Section", change "Protocol" to
"PS/2" and Device to "/dev/psm0".

This works for me, although the ps2 driver doesn't seem to provide mouse
acceleration and so is very awkward.

Dan Martin