Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:56:32 -0600
From:      "Mario Doria" <madd@tecdigital.net>
To:        <questions@freeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <mariodoria@yahoo.com>
Subject:   POSTFIX and Cyrus-SASL problem with SMTP AUTH

Hi

I just installed postfix-current from ports, the options I included were
SASL and TLS. Everything is working perfectly except the SMTP AUTH
mechanism. If on my /usr/local/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf I put the line
"pwcheck_method=pwcheck", when I connect to the server (client outlook
express) I get the following errors:

postfix/smtpd[20487]: fatal: SASL per-process initialization failed
postfix/master[20016]: warning: process /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid
20487 exit status 1
postfix/master[20016]: warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad
command startup -- throttling

If I comment out the line,  this is the error I get:

postfix/smtpd[29659]: warning: compilar.tecdigital.net[10.25.165.30]: SASL
LOGIN authentication failed
postfix/smtpd[29659]: lost connection after AUTH from
compilar.tecdigital.net[10.25.165.30]
postfix/smtpd[29659]: disconnect from compilar.tecdigital.net[10.25.165.30]

If I use "pwcheck_method=sasldb", I get again:
postfix/smtpd[30197]: fatal: SASL per-process initialization failed

I've tried using both ports/mail/postfix and ports/mail/postfix-current.
Also, I have recompilled many times ports/security/cyrus-sasl. Please help
me, if anyone has got a system like this one working, tell me how did you
get it working ( I want for user to authenticate before sending email, using
their system password)

I have checked and yes, pwcheck is running as expected.

Cheers,

Mario Doria