Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:21:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with dump on ncr

Stefan Esser wrote...
> On 1997-10-12 00:15 -0600, Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com> wrote:
> > 	One interesting thing about that, though..  Apparantly not all
> > drives return 0x04,0x02 when they aren't spun up.  I ran into some Quantum
> > Fireball ST (Stratus) drives that return 0x04,0x0b when they aren't spun
> > up.  Strange, 'eh?  That sense code qualifier isn't in the SCSI specs (not
> > even SCSI-3), and it isn't in Quantum's documentation on the drive.
>
> Well, I guess it is save to just exclude those
> ASCQ values for ASC 0x04 that indicate a simple
> motor start command is not sufficient (0x04/0x03
> surely does not ask for a START STOP UNIT command :)
>
> How about "issue a start unit command for ASC 0x04
> and ASCQ equal 0x02 or greater-equal 0x09. Can't
> see how that could cause problems ...

	Actually, that's just what I did to fix the problem, at least
temporarily.  The check (in cam_periph_error()) now looks like:

                                else if (asc == 0x04
                                      && ((ascq == 0x02) || (ascq > 0x08))
                                      && save_ccb != NULL
                                      && ccb->ccb_h.retry_count > 0) {

	That probably isn't the best thing to do, though.  What if another
vendor returns the exact same sense code, but it means something else?
In light of that, I'm planning to add a sense code quirk table, so that
we can adequately deal with strange sense codes like 0x04,0x0b.  The sense
code quirk table will have suggested action flags, opcodes or something
like that, to tell the error recovery code what to do in the case of a
particular sense code for that particular vendor/model/etc.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com