Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:57:40 -0700
From:      jwalker <j.c.walker@worldnet.att.net>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.2.2

Gentlemen:
I am requesting support on installing the FreeBSD distribution from the
CD media.  I have spent untold hours over the last few weeks and nearing
the end of my patience.  I purchased my first copy from MicroCenter in
Houston and have since requested and received an additional copy of the
CD from Walnut Creek.

This is a list of the problems I am having when I attempt to install the
product:
   During the course of the install while copying the files from the CD
   onto the hard drive, I get screens full of the error:
      /stand/cpio: invalid header
      warning skipped XXXX bytes of junk
      no such file or directory

   Other times I get the message:
        mcd0 timeout read data
        retrying

   The errors finally terminate with:
       gunzip: stdin - invalid compressed data -- format violated
       /stand/cpio: premature end of file

The last error even occurs on files that have previously been copied
down to the hard drive.

As I stated previously, I am nearly the end of my patience and time.  In
a fit of rage, I
broke original CD I purchased after I got that copy mixed up with the
replacement copy. (At
the time I believed the problem was related to bad media.)  I now
believe the problem is
independent of the different CDs.

I am installing the FreeBSD onto a Western Digital Caviar 2540 hard
drive (515 MB) with a 20 MB DOS partition at the begining of the drive.
I have attempted to use the entire disk to no avail.  I am installing
from a Mitsumi 2X CD player on IRQ 9, Address 340.  I have a 486-66
Intel CPU, NEC 1.44 floppy, and 24 MB RAM.  I am using a standard VGA
monitor with a Trident VGA card.  No network, no audio, just a plain
jane independent install.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I am not tied to installing
this FreeBSD, I just need a Unix machine.  Are the various incarnations
of Linux any easier to install?  Maybe I should be trying the Red Hat or
Slackware Linux systems instead of this stuff.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Jay Walker
j.c.walker@worldnet.att.net