Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:40:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

> > The people I'm aware of who use FreeBSD as a serious desktop are
> > using KDE.  It complies with open standards, and has the disctinct
>
> This in no way explains the failure of XiG to market CDE to the
> FreeBSD market whereas it had a success with the Linux market.
>
> Remember how this topic started, please understand: The issue wasn't
> KDE vs CDE vs GNOME vs TWM and 3 sexy icons masquerading as a desktop,
> the topic was commercial ISVs showing some "faith" in the FreeBSD
> desktop market through sales experience.  When you sell 3 copies of
> something that sells thousands of copies elsewhere, this does not lead
> to faith and that was the ONLY reason I brought up CDE at all - I have
> zero interest in getting into a debate about its technical merits or
> lack thereof since that wasn't the point in the first place.

Well, I never heard that there was a CDE for FreeBSD, and even if I
had, the a.out/ELF change was imminent for so long that I would
only have bought an ELF version.

Even so, I don't plan on doing a hell of a lot of Motif developement,
which is why I would have bought it, plus I have my own Motif clone
code that I really don't want them to claim that I've seen a real
Motif, namelisted the libraries, or examined the header files (the
reason I unsubscribed from the "Lesstif" list early on is that they
were engaged in technically illegal reverse engineering practices).
But that's just me.

> > I think the desktop contest went down so badly because it was a
> > phenomenally uninteresting thing to hack on.  I personnaly didn't
> > get involved because of the politics of layered software in FreeBSD;
>
> The ports collection has over 2000 items in it now.  Arguing that this
> approach was somehow infeasible doesn't really make sense in that
> context given the sheer number of people who have clearly gotten their
> heads around the concept enough to contribute new ports/packages.

Really?  How do I replace sendmail with a different SMTP agent
without having to do anything to a configuration file?

> > technology needed to layer software; for a desktop, this is a
> > System V style rc structure.  It's just not worthwhile working on
>
> I don't agree that desktops fundamentally require a SysV rc structure.
> That's like arguing that SCO would run faster if the box it came in
> was a different color - a non-sequitur at best.

It doesn't -- but only if you don't give the people the choice to not
install it.

> > You might want to rehold the contest, if you can promise that the
> > winner's code will go on the CDROM as something other than a port,
>
> I seriously and honestly doubt that this would make the slightest
> difference.  I know you don't agree, but I simply haven't seen any
> real evidence to lend weight to the above assertion.

Well, then, there's no risk if you do it... 8-).

> > 	  so that is not the problem.  Rather, xBSD does not have
> > 	  the fbdev driver system and the next release of KGI is
> > 	  not done yet.  If these problems can be fixed (not by me),
> > 	  all of this should work on xBSD as well.
>
> Why not by you?  "If not you, who else?" :-)

I was quoting the guy who was hired by creative labs in the URL that
was sent around.  That wasn't me saying "not me".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.