Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:20:29 +0000
From:      Aaron Siegel <bulk_mail@siegel-tech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building amd64

Hello

I would like to build a computer using a Intel Duo 2 Core processor, my first
attempted at finding a compatible motherboard failed.  I do not remember
having the same difficulties six years ago when I built my last computer.
Does any one have any advice. I have looked at the hardware notes for 6.2
Release http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-amd64.html#PROC and
also the list of mother boards that were tested, kinda tested by other
users .

I am think of building two, maybe computers, one which will replace my two
PIII as a intranet toy (web server, groupware?, wireless AP,
gateway/firewall), multimedia center (Mythtv, Mp3 player). The second will be
a desktop that will hopefully be run multiple  virtual OS using  win4bsd
until Xen is available.  I would perfer a microATX, I live in a small
apartment.

Is there a manufacturer anyone would recommend? A chipset that is support
better than any other?  Does it come down to trial and error?  Intel does
have some board which support Linux, at the very worst I can use that until I
can get Freebsd working.

My first failed attempt was an Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD with a ATI Radeon Xpress
1250 it does not boot any open source system, Freebsd x86/amd64, kunbuntu
x64,  or opensolaris. I am going to borrow a copy of Windows Vista to verify
it is a driver not faulty hardware.

Thank You
Aaron