Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:55:28 -0500
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@sweetdreamsracing.biz>
To:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
Cc:        Osmany Guirola Cruz <osmany.guirola@cigb.edu.cu>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA or ATI

Quoting Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>:

> If you are going to run freebsd 5.2.1 there aren't a lot of hoops to
> get an ATI card to work, but some people have reported better frame
> rates and less graphical glitches with nVidia cards.
>
> I have an ATI Radeon 9000 64mb AGP in my PC and its working fine.  I
> turned on glx and dri in X11.  From my understanding, you don't need to
> mess with dri on nVidia cards?
>
> If the machine uses an nforce chipset, don't buy an ATI video card.
> Aside from that, either should work.

Well unless he wants a MODERN card. If he wants something like an ATI Radeon
9800 Pro or an nVidia GeForce FX 5900, the ATI won't work at all with 3d
acceleration, and the nVidia card won't work now, but will as soon as nVidia
releases their latest drivers. It doesn't matter if it works with DRI or not,
as long as there is 3d acceleration.

As far as the 2 companys' track records go, ATI has shown no intentions of
supporting FreeBSD, while nVidia has already released drivers for FreeBSD that
include 3d acceleration. I'd suggest nVidia.

Ken