Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:00:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tosha 0.6 with VideoCD support

Hi Luigi,

Luigi Rizzo wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
 > i noticed this new release of Tosha, and i am going to look at it to
 > see if i can add VideoCD extraction ability to the atapi driver in
 > FreeBSD.

Should be easy.  Reading CD-XA mode2/form2 sectors is pretty
standard (at least much more standard than reading DA sectors).

 > I wanted to point you to the FreeBSD port of the "cdd" audio grabbing
 > utility, which now supports atapi disks.
 > Can you have a look at it -- there are two things that could be
 > integrated in Tosha, namely atapi support (it is really easy) and

OK.  Is there some documentation about that (except source)?
I'd also like to know on which platforms it works (probably
only on fairly recent 3.0-current, right?).  If possible, the
Makefile should automatically detect if the kernel supports
APATI audio extraction, much like it currently detects the
presence of CAM.

I will also need testers, because I have no 3.0-current box
with an APATI drive.

 > "jitter correction" (i.e. read overlapping blocks to compensate drives'
 > seek problems).

I believe that JC is not worth the trouble.  I now have (more
or less) direct access to six different CD-ROM drives, and all
of them work fine (without jitter) during my tests.  IMO:  If
you want to do audio extraction, then buy a drive with decent
firmware that supports it reasonably (and I think almost all of
today's well-known brands should be OK for that).

On the other hand, that's only my experience with SCSI drives.
It might be a whole different story with APATI drives.

Apart from that, I'm not able to develop, test and maintain
code to perform JC without even having a CD-ROM drive that
requires it.  Sorry for that.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)