Date:      Tue, 4 May 2021 10:20:14 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports recompile for 13.0-RELEASE

On 04 May 2021, at 09:00, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws> wrote:
> On 5/4/21 4:10 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
>> With the move to FreeBSD 13.0 is there a simple (single step) way to =
reinstall all the current ports other than saving off a list of the =
ports and then stepping through that list to reinstall them? It was very =
inefficient when moving to 12.0 as many ports in the list, of course, =
were dependent on other ports, but then got recompiled, sometimes =
multiple times. I know I ended up in a make loop where came was compiled =
over and over again until I aborted, listed the current ports, differ on =
the previous ports, and picked a port I though would have a lot of reps =
to restart the compile. I then did this several more times to get back =
to where I had been on 11.x
>=20
> I used "portmaster -fa" in the past.

Yeah, that's what I tried wen moving to 12.0 from 11.4 and it left a lot =
of cleaning up.

>> (And yes, I've tried moving to poudrerie several times and we do not =
get on. At all.)
>=20
> Might help to do another attempt. Especially if you are using custom =
port settings instead of pkgs.

It just doesn't work the way my brain works, and I don't have a bunch of =
servers I need to keep updated, and the two servers I am running are =
different architecture. Something as simple as "hey, I want to install =
this one port" seemed overly complicated. I can see it's great when you =
have a cluster of servers and want to manage the updates on a dedicated =
server, but I don't need that.

That said:

 # pkg-static upgrade -f
 # portmaster install postfix dovecot=20

So far, so good (I thought I would have to also redo MariaDB but it all =
seems to be working now, mail did not work until I recompiled Dovecot =
and Postfix, but I was expecting that.

So far the only thing that is new is an error about pam_opie, but that's =
for a new thread.

--=20
Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never
	doubted it for a second.