Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:33:24 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        mestery@visi.com
Cc:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended laptops for FreeBSD?

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 07:28:42PM -0500, mestery@visi.com wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Dann Lunsford wrote:
>
> > Hi!  I need some advice (or at least some information :-)) about buying
> > a laptop.  What brands/models support FreeBSD best, etc.?
> > For instance, today I saw a ThinkPad 1472 (pretty sure that was the
> > model) with 14" screen, 6.4G drive, DVD/CD, 64Meg, etc; looked real
> > nice, just what I need for the trips I'll be making, if it only runs
> > FreeBSD.  Will it?  I have an old ThinkPad 750C running FreeBSD now,
> > which is why I'm looking at the 1472, but I'd really like to have
> > peoples' opinions.
> >
> Along these lines, does anyone have any experience with the Dell
> Inspiron 3500?  Dell has a real nice deal now (14.1 inch display, 64MB
> RAM, 4.2GB drive, CD-ROM) for ~$2,000.  Has anyone used one of these
> with FreeBSD before?  I know firsthand the Dell's are nice machines, as
> my father has one.  But I don't know if anyone's used the Inspiron's
> with FreeBSD.

I have a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT. A Pentium II/Celeron 266. 64 meg of ram
and 4.3 gig hard disk. It has 2 PCMCIA slots, a 14.1" display, and two
"bays" in the front. The bay on the left is for the battery. The bay on the
right can hold a floppy drive, a CD-ROM drive, or an additional battery.
With both batteries installed the laptop can run for 7 hours without being
plugged in. The laptop comes with both the floppy and CD-ROM drive. The
floppy can be run off the parallel port.

I had no trouble installing FreeBSD 3.2 on this machine and running X with
the neo-magic X server I can get 1024x768 resolution. Damn nice machine. I
understand that this model is being discontinued so, if you can find one,
you should be able to get one a a pretty good price.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses