Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:46:35 +0900
From:      "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to update my ports directories ?

Hi,

I'm a newbie; moved from Linux to FreeBSD last week.

What is the freeBSD-way of updating the /usr/ports ?

That problem arose when I needed gtkextra-0.99.15, while the
FreeBSD 4.3 installation only comes with the gtkextra-0.99.14 port.

I found the 0.99.15 port on the web:
www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-toolkits/gtkextra/
from where I downloaded all the files manually, but ended during
the make with an error complaining that one of the patch files failed.

I assume having made a mistake by manually grabbing the port. Right?

Is there an (automatic) FreeBSD-way of updating ports ?
E.g. Mandrake has that "MandrakeUpdate" tool, for those who
are (distantly) familiar with that linux distro.

Thanks for hints and please keep in mind I'm new to FreeBSD.

Regards,
Rob.