Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:41:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing fbsd on esdi or ide media

On Friday, 12 February 1999 at  0:21:11 +1100, jonathan michaels wrote:
> all,
>
> i have an old compputer that has a still servicable 350 mb fujitsu esdi hard
> drive. this drive came with 6 bad blocks and 6+ years later still has teh same
> 6 bad blocks.
>
> my question is how much space to leave at the ned of the media for bad sector
> sparing. if i leave none fbsd complains, if i leave too much fbsd complains
> about not all the media is being used.
>
> is this required for the new eide onboard electronics drivers as well ? is
> thier a formulae to calculate how much 'sparing' space is required.

It's been a long time.  I think we still do the bad144 format sector
sparing for these drives.  To quote the man page:

     The format of the information is specified by DEC standard 144,
     as follows.  The bad sector information is located in the first 5
     even numbered sectors of the last track of the disk pack.  There
     are five identical copies of the information, described by the
     dkbad structure.

The rest is in the man page.  You run bad144, and it does it for you,
assuming the system got your disk geometry right.

Greg