Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 16:43:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@lambda.demon.co.uk>
To:        kimc@w8hd.w8hd.org (kim culhan)
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone care to investigate this?

> On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > In comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x Christoph Weber-Fahr <weber@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> > > P.S. to the FreeBSD side - why does Netscape give an error message about
> > >      a failed uname() call on startup, when running on 2.0R ?
> >
> > It's a bug in the implementation of the uname() library routine, or something
> > related to it.  I don't know exactly what the problem is on FreeBSD, but the
> > same problem existed on BSDI, until they fixed it.  The Netscape FAQ says:
>
> FWIW, on 2.0.5 -current I see no errors returned on Netscape startup.

Upgrade to the new version of Netscape. Why they think this is an error in
our uname implementation is broken when the previous Netscape versions worked
fine I don't know :-) It's a bit hard to say where exactly the fault lies
since this is a BSDI binary and apparently they're seeing the problem too?

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul