Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:22:20 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X dies - out of swap space

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 02:11:37PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> Apr 10 13:41:39 skytrackercanada /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
> Apr 10 13:42:29 skytrackercanada last message repeated 79 times
> Apr 10 13:42:29 skytrackercanada last message repeated 16 times
> Apr 10 13:42:29 skytrackercanada /kernel: pid 355 (XFree86), uid 0, was k=
illed:
>  out of swap space
>=20
> All of a sudden, every few days, under no great load, X dies and I lose
> my keyboard. The rest of the machine runs fine. It is still serving=20
> web pages and I can telnet in, but I cannot control the console.
> A "ps ax" shows that indeed X is not running.
>=20
> I have searched the list for previous answers but I would like to find
> out why it is happening.
>=20
> The best suggestion I heard was to set datasize to 128M in
> .initrc or .xsession. BTW, where is the man page for those files?
>=20
> Any suggestion or info on the above subject would be helpful.

How much memory does this machine have?  How much swap space?  It seems
that a reasonable amount of memory and a suitable sized swap partition
should be enough.  I have had this problem before, but on a diskless
terminal with only 32MB memory and no swap.  I got rid of the problem by
simply removing unneeded modules from X, however, this shouldn't really
be necessary if you are using a disk and some swap.

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--