Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 10:18:58 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Schwenk, Peter" <pschwenk@wcupa.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD-stable

>What is meant by merging the /etc and /dev files?  I'm beginning to
>tackle the -stable issues, and I'm not really sure what is meant by
>this.

It means if you have changes in your /etc directory from the
distribution (you have to have *some* changes), that you need to
carefully merge them with updated /usr/src/etc/ files by hand.  It's
not a process that can be automated.

Also, it's possible, though it shouldn't happen very often, that major
or minor numbers for devices could change.  It's also possible, and
more likely, that new devices will be added.  For either of these
situations, you may have to make new device entries in /dev/.

>> Is it a simple matter to just build
>> stable sources on a 2.1.0-release system?

>From:  Nate Williams[SMTP:nate@sri.MT.net]

>Yep.  You update your sources via sup or CTM and then do a 'make world'.
>If everything works like it's supposed to you have a system that's 95%
>of the way there.  Then, build and install a -stable kernel and you're
>98% of the way there.  The remaining 2% is making sure your /etc and
>/dev files are merged, but this has to be done by hand right now.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.