Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 00:14:39 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   different default gateway for jails planed/possible?

--nextPart4448323.qGoan8ImES

Dear all,

will it be possible to define a different default gateway for a jail?
Imagine a system with two interfaces, one for the host on a local GbE=20
Switch (with NFS service) and the other one connected to a different=20
DMZ-Switch which should serve different jails.
Now the DMZ is useless since anybody who broke into one jail can reach all=
=20
hosts on the "host" interface without having the possibillity to restrict=20
traffic on the router since the packets go straight to the GbE interface.=20
This is a big security disadvantage and if I block these packets I can't=20
any longer connect from machines inside the GbE network to the jails in=20
the DMZ. The request will be routed but answers go down the "host"=20
interface, instead to the DMZ router interface. Even a different default=20
gateway wouldn't help in this case, the kernel had to "keep in mind" that=20
packets from a jail mustn't be forwarded through any jail-foreign=20
interface. Also the usual routing table had to be overwritten since=20
packets from a jail should go over the router to the GbE network (although=
=20
there is a well known route, the interface which has the GbE net=20
configured).
But at least packets from a jail should be limited that they can't pass any=
=20
other interface(s) than the one(s) which belong to the particular jail.
I think PFs route-to next-hop rule would be a workarround for my problem =20
but I'm not too happy to have PF on a GbE Fileserver.

Another jail question: Is it possible to limit resources on jail-basis?=20
Like resource restrictions for useres in login.conf only for whole jails.

Thanks a lot,

=2DHarry