Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:55:22 -0700
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND denied update logging

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 01:45:12PM -0700, Linh Pham wrote:
> On 2001-04-13, Jon Rust scribbled:
>
> # Shouldn't that do it? Any other ideas on how to turn off these messages?
> # (Besides dropping a bomb on Redmond to thank M$ for this wonderful
> # "feature".)
>
> You mean ``set them up with bomb''? Under Windows 2000, you can go to
> each workstation, go into TCP/IP / Advanced / DNS and uncheck the
> Register DNS option. This will disable most (if not all) of the dynamic
> DNS updating that it does by default.

Not possible with 1500+ customers who are LAME. Point-and-click admins
who use Win2000 cuz "it's from MS so it must be good." Most, but maybe
not all? WTF is that?! (Not directed at you, but MS.)

Arg, apparently the DDNS requests come in on port 53 just like any other
lookup, or I would have just IPFW'd them out.

Jon