Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2012 07:22:21 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pxegrub + FreeBSD install

I was able to figure out how to pass the variables to the FreeBSD
mfsroot.  I did so by modifying the grub.cfg file like the below:

menuentry "freebsd82-x86_64" {
   kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
   kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
   kfreebsd_module /boot/mfsroot.gz type=3Dmfs_root
   set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=3Dufs:/dev/md0c
   set kFreeBSD.boot.nfsroot.server=3D$pxe_default_server
   set kFreeBSD.boot.netif.hwaddr=3D$net_pxe_mac
   set kFreeBSD.boot.netif.ip=3D$net_pxe_ip
   set kFreeBSD.dhcp.host-name=3D$net_pxe_hostname
}

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wro=
te:
> Hi All,
>
> I am attempting to build FreeBSD 8.x-RELEASE over the network via PXE.
> =A0I chain pxegrub to pxelinux and load the FreeBSD kernel and mfsroot
> through pxegrub with the following:
>
> menuentry "freebsd-x86_64" {
> =A0 kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
> =A0 kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
> =A0 kfreebsd_module /boot/mfsroot.gz type=3Dmfs_root
> =A0 set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=3Dufs:/dev/md0c
> }
>
> The mfsroot.gz is from the installation DVD with a couple of scripts
> and an install.cfg which result in a non-interactive install. =A0I set
> variables necessary to allow sysinstall to retrieve the expected
> files. =A0The variables (previously) are populated as follows:
>
> server=3D`kenv -q boot.nfsroot.server`
> mac=3D`kenv -q boot.netif.hwaddr`
> ip=3D`kenv -q boot.netif.ip`
> nm=3D`kenv -q boot.netif.netmask`
> gw=3D`kenv -q boot.netif.gateway`
> name=3D`kenv -q dhcp.host-name`
> route=3D`kenv -q dhcp.routers`
>

> The mfsroot.gz does not see these as set when the environment loads
> through pxegrub. =A0If I load the environment through pxeboot.bs, the
> variables populate ok. =A0Unfortunately, with pxeboot.bs I experience
> extremely high tftp failure rates when compared to pxegrub.
>
> My question is how should I populate these variables in the mfsroot.gz
> when loading via pxegrub?
>

> --
> Take care
> Rick Miller