Date:      13 Jul 2001 16:49:52 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   delay in connecting to port 25

Hi all,

I'm running exim from a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and it is
listening on port 25.

When trying to connect to port 25 on that machine, I get the
following...

Trying 213.x.x.x...
Connected to services.realtime.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.

It sits like this for about 34 seconds and then I get
220 mail.myserver.com ESMTP Exim 3.22 #1 Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:51:10 +0100

What could be causing this? Telnet to port 113 on the machine gives me

telnet: connect to address 213.x.x.x: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

instantly, so it's not sitting dropping packets at the firewall for
auth or anything like that.... ?

TIA,

--
- Wayne Pascoe