Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:59:11 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
Cc:        Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@rambo.simx.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, David Kramer wrote:

> I have to go through the collection of ports and make sure everything I
> need is there, but I'm sure it is.  BTW, is there a way to check what
> software is installed on your box?  Is there an automated way of
> uninstalling ports?  I couldn't find this info on freebsd.org.

Take a closer look at pkg_info, pkg_delete and pkg_add. You can also
delete an installed port by going to /usr/ports/*category*/*app*/,
then make deinstall.

> One of the aspects touted as FreeBSD's strenghts, the fact that all the
> software comes from one place, can also be seen as a weakness.  I could
> get RPM's for almost anything imaginable, because if one website doesn't
> have it, another one will.  For instance, Webmin 0.980 is available as of
> a few weeks ago, but the latest port is 0.970.  The packages for several
> Linux distros is already available.

There are pros and cons to the ports system. I personally think there's
more good than bad. I'm not sure, but maybe there's a utility in the
ports hierarchy that can deal with rpm's? Or maybe, use configure/make/
make install of the source?

The question, which system is best, I can not answer. Have only installed
Linux once, and did use it for two hours, then did an uninstall. :-)

Good luck chosing the most appropriate OS for the task at hand!

Best regards,
Paul