Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:18:51 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: Time to make the stack non-executable?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 05:50:45PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> The real question is whether or not it would interfere with KSE
> itself (Julian says "no"), and whether or not it would interfere
> with anything else.  I know that it will break signals, unless
> the signals system is modified to pass the return address as an
> argument.  Stepping on that code is really dangerous now (as I
> pointed out to Sean), sine it's one of the places that's really
> in flux (particularly on the Alpha), according to Julian.

That's probably up to the UTS system itself and how it handles
upcalls. I don't remember anything in the uthreads using something
like that currently, so that answer to that is probably "no" at
this time. That's up the UTS folks in question.

> It would be really nice to be immune from stack overflow based
> hacks.

That probably impossible in "C" without consideration to the
language facilities and some kind of runtime bounds checking.

bill