Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:54:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Understanding FreeBSD CVS tags

Hey all!

I was reading the Handbook, and I just was wondering if someone can
clarify something for me.  Considering that 4.4 has been released, I
wasn't sure if I wanted to stick with RELENG_4 tag (which is the 4-STABLE)
release tag or go with RELENG_4_4 tag.  Most people seem to go with the
STABLE tag and ride things out until it becomes the next release.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RELENG_4_4 implies that it's basically 4.4
RELEASE with added security bugfixes?  Does that include contributed
software, such as Sendmail, which were found to have security flaws? The
handbook doesn't seem to be too clear on that, and I was  hoping someone
can help me understand what goes on in the RELENG_4_4 branch.

TIA,

Joey