Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:25:53 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: ATTENTION to CD driver authors (matcd, scd)

In message <m0thRDH-000CAPC@nemesis.lonestar.org> Frank Durda IV
    writes:

>[0]I found that READTOCENTRYS ioctl completely broken in matcd/scd.
>[0]I don't have enough time to fix them and not have those cards to test
>[0]the fix.
>[0]So, please fix them.
>[0]As template you can look at mcd,wcd,cd drivers, here is correct
>[0]implementation after my latest commit sequence.

>Uh, would you mind saying what you think is wrong?  I spent a lot of
>time on those ioctls in the matcd driver for 2.1.0, and made them:
>(A)	EXACTLY match the output that the other drivers were
>	generating (I checked several out since there were some
>	disagreements between mcd, wcd, scd, and cd).  And,

Mcd was broken initially when taken from Linux. Most correct driver was cd,
but it can't handle leadout and zero track requests.
scd was written from mcd and broken too.
wcd was written looking to mcd and cd so was broken too.

NetBSD mcd driver is real fresh blood in this stream of brokennes.

>(B)	EXACTLY match the output that xcdplayer was expecting. And,
>(C)	EXACTLY match the output that cdplayer was expecting.

cdplayer and cdplay was changed to deal with broken ioctl.
The history is: cdplay was initially correct, then it
was changed to handle our broken driver (by me).
cdplayer was written looking into cdplay and was broken too.

>Now in the past few days I have noticed changes going through for cdplayer
>and other drivers.  Are we redefining what is "correct"?   Is there
>any particular reason, since these ioctls and the apps that used them
>*were* working?

Existing few apps uses only small subset of what ioctls does,
they use this subset because more wide subset is broken differently
in different systems. F.e. apps not use LBA mode for this reason.
Moreover, even this small subset not works
for us, f.e. xcdplayer uses leadout track request which not handled
properly with our driver.

Now we are at least NetBSD compatible in this ioctl.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -