Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brett McCormick <brett@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   porters handbook problem

Hello,

I followed the guide in the porters handbook and have created a
working port.  However, when I attempted to autogenerate the
pack{ing|age} list I was unable to coax the system into installing my
dependencies into the temporary directory.

It appeared as though this was due to some pseudo-semantic changes in
the use of the variables PREFIX and LOCALBASE which may differ from
the documentation.  One apparently problem was due to the fact I
require perl modules for installation, and of course there is no perl
directory in my temporary location.

I am thinking that it would be simpler to create a packing list by
hand since there are many dependencies, however I wished to notify you
of the possible discrepancy between the system behavior and the
documentation.

However, I am using freebsd 3.2 with the latest version of ports.

Hopefully this information is of some useto you, feel free to respond
if you need more information.

Thanks for everything,
--brett