Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 08:11:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ijppp -auto configuration

Hi gang;

	I used ijppp to install freebsd-2.1. This marks the first time
that i have been able to install freebsd sans floppies! WORKED
EXCELLENT!! YOW!

	So, obviously, i can hand start ppp and use the term part and
dial up and go.

	Once i try to automate this, such that i have a configuration file with
an entry called uw: and try to use "ppp uw" and "dial", i no longer have
net access. weird. I get "dial OK!" and "login OK!" but never anything
about "using Packet mode" or the "~" u get when u type PPP at the remote
command line in "term" mode.

	The server i am logging into has dynamic addressing and the
possiblity of using several ip's for both the server and my end. I used
the techniques listed in the man page to specify a requested server and
user ip, and when i type "show ipcp" i get the requested ip's. But none
of my net apps ( telnet, etc ) run. Since i get a hostname lookup failure
and i have the dns in my resolv.conf, i assume i have no net.

	so, if anybody out there in questions land has a config file they
are using with a dynamic ip addressing scheme, i would like to see it. I
suspect i am missing some command that starts packet mode from the config
file, but i have not seen anything about that in the /ppp/*sample files

tnx!

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life