Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:28:36 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SCSI card recommendations

	Could be that your motherboard didn't live up to the PCI spec that the card
was designed for.  Moot point now.

> The machine has only one disk, and it's IDE, unfortunately.
>
> > I somehow find that hard to believe, unless you
> > tried to put this card in maybe a 486 or a
> > Socket 5 Pentium...
>
> Spurious interrupts and parity errors are typical symptoms of speed
> discrepancies.  I rather doubted that a brand-new Adaptec card in
> a brand-new PC
> would have any hardware failures.

	Anything produced by human hands on a production line is prone to any
number of failure modes.  Nothing is perfect.

> > It's not on the hardware list (I actually had to
> > confirm that, since I didn't believe it), but this
> > card has been running under FreeBSD since
> > version 4.2, possibly earlier.
>
> It may work on faster configurations, or different motherboards,
> or something.
> I couldn't get it to work, and my questions to the lists went
> unanswered, as I
> recall, so I gave up.  I should not have bought such a fancy card
> in the first
> place--it cost almost as much as the PC.

	I never saw an questions regarding that card.

> > I'll agree with that.  That's why I have a spare
> > 40 MB/s chain for external devices on my workstation.
>
> Unfortunately, my inexpensive PC had no SCSI capability included,
> so I had to
> buy a card.  In fact, it had no network card, either, so I had to
> buy that as
> well (3Com).  It did come with a modem card, which was useless to me, so I
> pulled that and put the NIC in its place (both PCI).  So now I've added a
> brand-new 29160 and a brand-new internal PCI modem card to my
> ever-growing stash
> of unused hardware.

	You'll find a use for it somewhere.  I always tend to find ways to use
hardware that's worth keeping... as an example, my $130 US router, complete
with 3 NICs, modem, 3 channel Adaptec SCSI controller and a hot swap cage.

--- Andy